Generally speaking, post workout supplementation has 3 purposes:
- Replenish muscle glycogen or replenish energy stores
- Inhibit muscle breakdown as well as increase muscle size and quality
- Repair muscles from the workout. Protein synthesis.
This helps to increase performance and helps your body composition leading to an improved appearance. That’s why most of us workout right?
What should you consume post workout?
- A protein shake with 25-30 grams of protein with roughly 30 grams of carbs for CrossFitters. An easy way to do this is to make a shake in a blender and throw in half of a banana or eat half a banana.
- If your priority is to lose body-fat, just use a shake with little to no carbs. We recommend MRE LITE from Redcon. I think there is 2-3 carbs in a shake and it tastes amazing.
- Creatine x 5 grams post workout. The jury is out and the research is there to support the use for CrossFit. If you aren’t using it you are missing out. It’s cheap and it works.
When should your consume your shake or food?
- Immediately after your workout. It’s an opportune time. You just worked out and your muscles are ready for nutrients. Smash a shake asap. Throw in 5 grams of micronized creatine while you’re at it.
- About 2 hours or so after your shake eat a meal. It you can’t eat a meal, eat a bar or have another shake.
- If fat-loss is your goal, supplementing with 10 grams of BCAA’s is a great way to help recovery as well. I recommend athletes that train on a regular basis to consume extra BCAA’s throughout the day to the tune of 20 grams a day.
It’s hard to know where to start with nutrition, exercise, and supplementation. We are here to help with anything and everything. Book a free no sweat intro today to chat with us!